Book Review: Christian based books that balance healthy sexuality with the belief that masturbation, same-sex relationships, infidelity and sex before marriage shouldn’t happen.
A short overview of this book
Birds and Bees by the Book by Patricia Weerakoon is a six-book series for parents who want to explain sex to their child from a Christian perspective.
The books are written by a well-known Australian sexologist and academic, who is an evangelical Christian.
These books arrive as a set of 6 books that are designed to be read in whichever order suits you and your child.
- ‘Me and My Family’ explores how we become part of our families, and the different kinds of families we see around us. It also explains how families began through Adam and Eve. Children learn that God loves them, and read about what it means to be part of God’s family.
- ‘Me and My Body’ explores how every child is a special creation of God, how Jesus’ love changes the way we see and treat our bodies, and how children can protect their bodies.
- ‘Me and My Brain’ introduces children to the way their brain works, and shows them how they can make good choices about what they watch, say and do, which will lead to a strong and healthy brain as they grow.
- ‘Learning about Sex’ introduces children to the different meanings of the word ‘sex’, God’s good purpose for sex, and what this means for their lives now and as they grow up.
- ‘Learning about Gender’ helps children to work through what it means to be a boy or a girl, and how to understand issues of gender in the world around them.
- ‘Learning about Pornography’ helps children to understand why pornography is harmful, what to do if they encounter it, and how to keep their brain healthy.
All of these topics are framed within the Bible’s message that children are unique creations of God, and that sex is a precious gift to be used carefully and wisely in the context of marriage.
BUT it does follow Christian beliefs that certain sexual behaviours are wrong, like same-sex relationships, masturbation, sex before marriage, and infidelity.
The author manages to impart these beliefs without blatantly labelling them as sinful. She explains why these things shouldn’t happen but also talks about acceptance within the Christianity framework.
I think that the author has managed to balance these Christian values with a shame-free and non-judgemental approach to sexuality.
What’s the ideal age for this book?
Birds and Bees by the Book by Patricia Weerakoon is ideal for children between the ages of 7 – 10 years of age.
✅ Buy a copy
Where can you buy a copy of this book?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You may also find other affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
You can buy a copy of Birds and Bees by the Book by Patricia Weerakoon from Christian bookstores or the book’s website.
You can find more books like this in my extensive list of Sex Education Books for Children.
Have a look through the book