Book Review: This Period in my Life by Saskia Boujo is a guidebook and journal for tweens and teens about periods.
A short overview of this book
This Period in my Life by Saskia Boujo is a lovely book that has been designed to inform and prepare young people for their first period. It is one of the few period books that are inclusive, with ungendered language used throughout. Which means it is also suitable for transgendered children who have periods.
I really like the approach that this author has taken with this book, as it is more than a book filled with facts. It is also a journal, which means it has activities and places for your child to reflect on their own period. It also encourages the reader to become more in tune with their body so that they can understand how their hormones may influence their day to day life.
It takes a nice simple approach that kids will easily understand and feel comfortable with reading.
This book includes:
- Facts on periods and straight forward science about the menstrual cycle.
- Practical and achievable advice on menstrual products, with an emphasis on sustainability and safe disposal.
- Hints and tips for self-care during the more challenging phases of the cycle.
- Easy steps to tackle period poverty and to normalise period conversations at school
- 2 years worth of monthly charts for tracking cycles
- Templates, quizzes and colouring pages as well as plenty of space to doodle away…
You can learn more on this page, about how to talk to kids about sex education.
What’s the ideal age for this book?
This Period in my Life by Saskia Boujo is ideal for children aged 11 and older.
✅ Buy a copy
Where can you buy a copy of this book?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You may also find other affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
You can find more books like this in my extensive list of Sex Education Books for Children.
Have a look through the book