Book Review: A book for kids that talks about diversity (being different).
A short overview of this book
Who We Are! All about being the same and being different by Robie H. Harris and illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott, is a book about being the same and yet different.
An overview of the book
This is the fifth book in Robie H. Harris’s series of books for children in the early years. Each book focuses on just one topic. This one is about how we can all be so different yet the same!
Who We Are! All about being the same and being different talks about:
- there are many people in the world but there is only one of you
- no one is exactly like you – even if they look alike
- people’s bodies are mostly the same – except for the parts that make you a boy or a girl
- we all have the same body parts on the inside and the outside
- but these parts that are the same can look different eg different coloured eyes, skin, hair, etc
- some of our features are passed onto us from our birth parents or grandparents
- we can’t tell what a person is really like from their outside eg do they like green jelly?
- sometimes we feel nervous or a little afraid of someone who looks different – chances are though, that you will both have something in common
- sometimes people say mean things about someone’s skin colour, or what they are wearing
- everybody has feelings
- being mean can hurt someone’s feelings – try saying sorry for what you have done
- what’s wonderful is that we are more the same than we are different.
This is an important book as it explains to children that whilst we may all be very different, we also have much that is alike.
This is a pretty important lesson for kids to learn. Firstly, because it will help them to be more accepting of the differences that they see around them in their friends. They will be more accepting of differences and be less likely to discriminate against them.
Secondly, it will help them to be more accepting of their own differences because they will know that it is normal for everyone to be different.
Make sure you have a look at the book first (before you read it to your child)! That way you will know what to expect. You can find some tips in this article on how to read ‘sex ed’ books.
This book is a picture book but it is very wordy. You may have to summarise the text on some pages, as it is very comprehensive. Most 3 year olds would not have the attention span to sit through a ‘start to end’ read of this book.
This is actually a pretty easy book to read. It briefly mentions that the parts that make you a boy or girl, and there are no illustrations of the genitals. So there are no ‘scary bits’ for you to be worried about ie there is no talk of sexual intercourse. Who We Are! All about being the same and being different is a pretty safe book to read.
Who We Are! All about being the same and being different is one of the many sex education books for children that talks about diversity. This book though, provides a quite detailed explanation of the many ways that we differ yet are the same.
What’s the ideal age for this book?
Who We Are! All about being the same and being different is ideal for children between the ages of 3 – 8 years of age.
✅ Buy a copy
Where can you buy a copy of this book?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You may also find other affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
You can find more books like this in my extensive list of Sex Education Books for Children.
Have a look through the book